Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Miracles do happen!

Ladies and Gents I have reached a milestone in my physical fitness endeavors. I have achieved one of my running goals. I am the shit.  Get the champagne, we're throwing a party.

Last night, I RAN ONE MILE WITHOUT STOPPING!!!!!! And I ran it in 10.5 minutes!

That's right. Yep, I am the running queen. I'm on top of the mountain. I CAN CONQUER THE WORLD!

I think the last time I ran a mile was in high school. No joke. (That was over 10 years ago.) I don't know what got into me last night. I was a little stressed out from work and had already planned to go to the gym after work. But once I got there I was in 'killer' mode. I jumped on the first treadmill I could see and OWNED IT! My original plan was to run my usual .5 miles, walk .5 miles, then run .25 miles, then walk .5 miles and so on and so on for an hour.  Just like last week. (BTW, that little running 'workout' basically came about because that was all I could do last week. I couldn't run more or less, so I just kept with it.)  But my original plan was crushed to pieces when I looked down and saw that I had run .75 miles.

WHAT?!?! .75 miles?!?! I nearly jumped off the damn exercise machine of death and did cartwheels in the middle of the gym. (That would have been a site to see.)

But I didn't do cartwheels. I thought, hell, if I can make it to .75 miles, I can make it to a full 1 mile.  No problem. 

Well, I was already so winded at that point that I just knew my heart was going to explode out of my chest any minute, so running another quarter mile was going to really put me in cardiac arrest. But I went for it anyway.  And I did it!  My legs felt like little rubber noodles and my lungs were burning so bad from lack of oxygen that I thought I was going to pass out. But I didn't pass out! I made it! Then, I slowed it down and walked for another mile and all in all I walked/ran 4.75 miles by the time I was done.

I felt so good about myself when I left! I was so proud. I just couldn't believe it.  And good thing I was so high on my little 'I-ran-one-mile-achievement' cloud because by the time I got home, I happened to glance at myself in the mirror and WOW. My face looked like I spent 84 days out in the middle of the desert with no SPF.  I was NOT pretty.  But that's ok, who cares if you look like death warmed over when you just RAN ONE MILE!

Can you tell I'm excited?  I just wanted to share my great news with you all.  It can happen, miracles can happen. Last night, I was living (and running) proof.  Now lets see if I can do it again tonight!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, i know this is an older post, but i wanted to say CONGRATS!! That's awesome!! Nothing better than that feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from y'all, so leave a comment!